Monday, November 14, 2011

Baked


Hope your Monday has been a good one! Did you have a nice weekend?

I baked Tamale Pie over the weekend - a tried and true recipe that several members of my family have been making forever. It's super easy, delicious, and good for you (which is different for me, I know).

Tamale Pie - makes one large (about a 7x10x3 inch casserole) or 4 small

1 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red or green pepper, chopped
2 cups pinto beans*
2 cups red kidney beans*
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable juice
* this works out to about 3 small cans of beans. I like to soak, and cook my own beans, then freeze them.


Cornbread topping:
2/3 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 red chilli peppers, finely chopped
1/2 cup cheddar or parmesan cheese, finely grated

To make the bean filling: Preheat oven to 350f/180c. In a large pot, saute onion, garlic and pepper with a little olive oil. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the beans, cilantro, cumin, chilli powder, and vegetable juice. Cook for another 10 minutes. Pour bean mixture into one large casserole dish, or your small oven proof dishes (this is how I like to do it).


To make cornbread topping: In one medium bowl, combine all ingredients, and mix well. Like I said, it's super easy! Spoon mixture on top of each casserole dish. Pop into oven and bake for about 30 minutes for small casseroles, or about 40 minutes for the large, or until tops are golden brown.



That's it! Easy. If you try it out, I'd love to know!

Back soon.
Janis

15 comments:

Rosa @ FlutterFlutter said...

Janis, I've never had this before, and it sounds SO GOOD!! Not too hard to convert to gluten free either. I'll be trying this out for sure!

tinyparticlesoflight said...

OMG it's chili and cornbread in one dish!!! Sold.

xo
cortni

Monique said...

this looks delicious and waaaay more appetizing than shepherd's pie. i must try this.

Marisa Midori said...

Mmm this sounds amazing!

P.S. I don't know if the header is new or if I am just unobservant but I love the new fall photos!

lisaroyhandbags said...

I've never tried anything like this but it looks yummy! Sort of a chili pot pie! :)

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

OK, I NEED that napkin! The pattern is brilliant!

the southern hostess said...

Yum! This looks perfect for a cold night.

Inspire Me Heather said...

Oh, that looks delish!

theolivetree said...

seriously thanks for sharing! My husband has an obsession with soups/stews and cornbread ;)

keishua said...

oh my goodness. this looks amazing. I love love tamales.

Cez said...

omg...i am in love with that recipe!!!!! thanks for sharing...will try soon!!!! xxx

Renee (eatliveshop.com) said...

I absolutely LOVE tamales - probably one of my favourite foods ever. I need to try this out this winter!!!

Jessica Cangiano said...

Wonderfully lovely recipe for the eyes and palette alike.


Many sweet thanks for your recent comment over at Chronically Vintage, I sincerely appreciate it.


Wishing you a serene, wonderful Sunday,
Jessica

a happy little life said...

Hi I'm popping over from Lisa Roy's blog. I cannot wait to try this out. Lovely wonderful blog!
Tracie

Nette @ This Dusty House said...

Janis, I made this on the weekend and it was absolutely DELICIOUS!

I used one can of kidney beans (no time or forsight to soak my own!) and swapped out the pinto beans for ground beef (I sent the Husband to do the grocery shopping for the ingredients and he couldn't find the pinto beans. Oh well. Ground beef worked). I also used tomato sauce instead of the veggie juice - didn't have any of that either. You do what you can, right?

But, even with the substitutions, it turned out absolutely delicious. It's definitely going in my book of "must makes"! Thanks for sharing this recipe!