Monday, November 21, 2011

Baked


I've baked various versions of this cake a few times now. I found the recipe in Chatelaine magazine, but I did make some changes to make it a little less "gluten free" in taste and texture. You should definitely give this one a shot if you need to bake something chocolatey, delicious, and gluten free!

Chocolate Cake - makes one 9" cake

1 cup milk, at room temp
2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup almond meal
1 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon guar gum (can find in specialty food stores and it's cheap!)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Glaze:
1 cup 33% cream (whipping cream)
110 g unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons honey

To make cake:
Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Lightly spray a 9 inch round cake pan with oil. You can also use a 10" bundt  pan, but I don't have one of those ;)
Whisk together milk and coffee in a large bowl, until coffee has completely dissolved. Whisk in eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, and guar gum, then add to milk mixture. Whisk well. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake in centre of oven until a skewer, inserted in centre, comes out clean, about 25- 30 minutes. Allow cake to cool in pan, completely, on a wire rack before inverting onto a cake plate.



To make glaze:
Heat cream in a small saucepan until almost comes to a boil. Add chocolate and stir until just melted. Stir in honey. Drizzle over top of cake. Enjoy!


If you make this cake, I'd love to know what you think.  I love it. Another good thing is that it's pretty high in protein and fibre, due to the flour mix. ;)

That's it for now. Hope your week is off to a good start!
Back soon,
Janis

13 comments:

Missing Goat said...

oh my gosh, please bring that on wednesday if we manage to meet!!
yum.

lisaroyhandbags said...

Mmmm! Funny- I was going to post my chocolate cake recipe today! Not gluten-free though. Yours looks amazing xo

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Ooooo you know how to make a young chap hungry on a Tuesday morning! ;)

elisa said...

gorgeous! it looks amazing. i was just wrangling cakes without dairy, always tricky when you need to start substituting. to me there's nothing like butter and cream! x

Julie said...

looks delicious! will have to give it a try!

amy walters said...

Gorgeous images Janis. This cake looks deadly...in the very best way possible!

rebecca said...

good grief this looks insane. and your photos are gorg!!

tinyparticlesoflight said...

This looks amazing! Can't wait to pass it along to my gluten-free friends.

xo
cortnie

Anonymous said...

can you bring some of that over with my oranges? xx

Sarah said...

I know you posted this a long while ago, but I just made this cake and can I tell you it was DE. Licious! My husband and I loved it. Only two small changes - I subbed xanthan gum for hte guar (as that was all I had) and white sugar for the honey in the frosting.

Will be bookmarking and definitely baking this one again. Thanks!

Elizabeth Thompson said...

This recipe is absolutely fantastic! I just made it for a birthday party and everyone loved it! They couldn't believe it was gluten free!! Thank you so much! :) Such a win!

Louise said...

What happens if I omit guar gum? Can I substitute it with something else (more common)?

Anonymous said...

Made the cake last night but made a buttercream frosting for the topping...family said as good as my usual chocolate cake! Thanks for the great recipe!