Monday, November 28, 2011

Baked


Hope your week is off to a good start!

I'm a huge fan of the humble cracker, and I make them a lot this time of year. They have so many uses. Dips, soups, and just snacking. Love them. I baked a batch of gluten free crackers with middle eastern spices. So flipping tasty. You can use any spice/herb combo you like, really. I'm loving experimenting with gluten free recipes too. Not that I have to steer clear, but it is a bit healthier especially if you're constantly baking, and eating what you bake. ;)

Snack Crackers - makes about 4 dozen
(a re-worked version of Bob's Red Mill crackers)

3/4 cup all-purpose gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 tablespoon ground cumin
3/4 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons water
coarse salt to sprinkle on tops of crackers


Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Place all dry ingredients in a bowl (except coarse salt) and whisk until well combined. Add olive oil and water and stir until it forms a ball ( I use my hands for this bit). If the dough is too crumbly (see pic at left, below), add a teaspoon of water to form a ball of dough. 


Divide the dough in half, and roll out to about 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch. Best to sprinkle a little flour on your rolling pin before rolling out. Use whatever kind of cookie/biscuit cutter you like, to cut out shapes. I used a 2" circle for this batch. Poke a few holes, with a fork, on the tops of each cracker. Transfer, using a thin spatula, to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle tops with a little coarse salt. Repeat with remaining dough. 



Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and place crackers on a wire cooling rack. Place rack back on baking sheet, and bake for another 5-7 minutes. Allow to cool on wire rack. 

I created a small card and packaged some up to give as a little thank you gift, along with some cheese and chutney. They are so good. It's hard to stop eating them! If you make some, let me know what you think.

One more thing...I did up a holiday gift guide over at Poppytalk. If you've got shopping on your mind, check it out!

Back soon,
Janis




8 comments:

Callie Grayson said...

oh, what a perfect thank you gift!
I would send you a thank you card for the thank you gift if I had received such a perfect sweet or should I say spice gift!
xx
callie

le@thirdontheright said...

love these - we are all GF and mostly sugar free so will go down a treat :) le xox

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Cookies are good anytime! I love how you packaged them up with the little picture - so sweet! xx

lisaroyhandbags said...

yum! these sound very addictive! :)

Buffy Ramm said...

I can't wait to make these! GF crackers are hard to find and packaged ones are usually pretty yuk!

Chic Coles said...

Yum these look so good. Thank you.

Deanne said...

These look great, I have been after a GF cracker recipe!

amy walters said...

Love homemade crackers. This recipe looks amazing ;)
You're packaging idea is adorable!!!