Monday, December 12, 2011

Baked



Hello everyone! Did you have a nice weekend?

I baked some Fruit and Nut Biscotti over the weekend - not too sweet and it can last for a couple of weeks. Not that I expect this will be sitting around for long. ;)

I got the original recipe from Canadian Living, but have made a few changes. This version is gluten-free (would never know it!) and is minus the golden raisins as I'm not a fan of them. 

Fruit and Nut Biscotti - makes about 18 think slices

4 egg whites
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
3/4 cup gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)*
1/4 teaspoon guar gum*
1/3 cup whole almonds
1/3 cup shelled pistachios
1/4 cup candied orange peel (I had some left over from last week)
1/2 cup dried cranberries

* if using all-purpose flour, you use the same amount and omit the guar gum


Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Line the bottom and sides of a 9"x5" loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside. 
In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla.


Sift together the flour and guar gum and sprinkle half over top of mixture. Fold in, then add remaining flour mixture. If using all purpose flour, sift flour directly over top egg white mixture. Add the almonds, pistachios, orange peel, and cranberries and fold in. Scrape mixture into prepared pan, and smooth out top.




Bake until firm and pale golden, 35 minutes. Let cool in pan, on rack, for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, peel off paper and allow to cool completely. Wrap and place in freezer until firm but not frozen, 30 minutes. Using a sharp (seriously sharp)  serrated knife, cut into thin slices, about 3mm thick. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, 1/2 inch apart, and bake in a 300f oven for about 18 minutes until golden and crisp. Allow to cool on baking sheet on a cooling rack. Enjoy!


Back soon!
Janis




18 comments:

Deanne said...

I make this gluten free too, I like the idea of adding pistachios and dried cranberries for a Christmas version.

Inspire Me Heather said...

You make it look so yummy and I'm sure it is!

paperpocket said...

I've never tried biscotti.It looks yummy!

Danielle Hardy said...

Yummmmmyyyyy!!!!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I need to try this - you made it look so temping in that top shot! Love the peek of Anthology mag, too!

elisa said...

ahh, i love biscotti. my mother makes a fine pistachio biscotti too, and it's taken a couple of christmases away to realise that i need to make these things myself. (though possibly i just need to speak to you about your postal service.) it's the kind of treat i like more and more because it isn't so sweet. beautiful, janis.

x

Meesh@idreamofchairs.com said...

I've wanted to make biscotti, and you make it look easy and yummy! Pistachios are my favorite nut. So great to meet you the other day!

Kitty M said...

Lovely recipe Janis - great for Christmas coffee after lunch :-)

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

that looks amazing - must send it to a friend too who is gluten intolerant. she'll love it. xx

tinyparticlesoflight said...

I love things that go with red wine! Looks really yummy...

xo
cortnie

kate / tinywarbler said...

yum!!! looks so good. you have guar gum? it sounds so professional! :)

homeboundtheheartoflife said...

the photos are {as always} lovely and the recipe sounds just great, must try it {love that you left out the raisins ;-)}. have a lovely day.

lisaroyhandbags said...

yum yum yum! :)

Rosa @ FlutterFlutter said...

More gluten free goodness!! Yay! This looks fantastic! I am in awe of your photography skills Janis. Serious talent.

ali said...

I love biscotti! I'm constantly defending it. My friends dare to say that it is too dry... dummies. That's why you dip it in things. These look delightful.

www.finelittleday.com said...

This looks too good! And the photos, I like :)

InteriorGroupie said...

Love how it can be paired with wine... :)

liza said...

I'm so excited you're giving gluten free recipes. Thank you! I'm making the Orange Almond Stars right now... well, I'm candying the orange peel - I've baked the cookies already. I'll ice them in the AM. It smells delicious around here!