Monday, December 19, 2011

Baked


Where have the last few weeks gone? Is it really Christmas this weekend? Wow.

I've made some mocha shortbread for a little get together. Nothing like a coffee/chocolate combo. FYI, I have made these with gluten free all purpose flour and they taste the same. If you do use a gluten free flour, make sure to add 1/4 teaspoon of guar gum as well.

Mocha Shortbread - made about 22 cookies with the tree shaped cutter

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3 teaspoons instant coffee granules

Preheat oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.


Cream butter until light and creamy. Beat in icing sugar and coffee granules. Sift over top the flour and cocoa and mix well. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface and cut out whatever shapes you like. Place on baking sheet, one inch apart, and bake for about 20 minutes. That's it. Done. Easy. Delicious.




Do you heaps of baking on the agenda for the week? Do you try something new every year, or do you have your family traditions that you can't do without? Let me know!

Back soon,
janis


8 comments:

le@thirdontheright said...

these look delightful ! well I've made scottish fudge, coconut ice, marshmallow and meringues ... plus cake pops and biscotti for work ... mum made panforte so will have that too - she sent it in the post - she is such a sweetie - have a lovely week - le xox

M├Ągi said...

OooH! Those do look fabulous.
I can definitely picture making those for my Grand Dad. He would love it!

Food family traditions? Not so much. We do like apple juice + sparkling water. We like... cookie dough!

Heidi said...

Nom nom nom. If I get a couple of spare hours this week, I will definitely be making these. Thanks for the recipe. Check on my blog later this week for a post on my baking extravaganza.

happy holidays!

-heidi
http://oliveobserver.blogspot.com/

amy walters said...

Love the way you styled these cookies. They look amazing Janis. And sooooo yummy.

greenbeen said...

i don't like thessseee at all! blaaahhh

I LOVE them! Mocha delicious...

Have a wonderful silly season. X Dayle

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Top notch styling and super sweet tree shapes, Janis! xx

the southern hostess said...

Yum! I love the sound of these and they're so stinkin' cute!

Meesh@idreamofchairs.com said...

Yay, a new twist on shortbread! I baked some regular shortbread a couple weeks ago, but the cookie monster in my house has eaten most of them...must be his favorite. Need to restock this week. ;)