Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Baked


Ah, the sun is shining. Makes it an even better hump day. How's your week going?

I was craving something not quite cake like, more like pudding, and not too sweet, so I baked some clafoutis. Have you tried it? It's so simple and delicious. Here's the recipe...

Blueberry Almond Clafoutis - makes 2 small or one large

1 half pound of fresh or frozen blueberries (I had some in the freezer)
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1 cup milk
1/3 cup raw sugar (or regular granulated)
1 teaspoon almond extract
pinch of salt
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons sliced almonds for topping

Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Lightly spray two 5 inch oven proof pans, or one 9 inch pan, with oil, and set aside.


Whisk the eggs and egg whites together in a large bowl, until well mixed. Keep whisking while adding milk, then sugar, almond extract, almond meal, salt and cornstarch. Mix until well combined and smooth.



Layer the bottom of each pan with blueberries, then pour batter over berries. Sprinkle the tops with sliced almonds. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before eating. Enjoy!


Let me know if you give this one a go - I'd love to know what you think.

Have a lovely day! Back soon.
Janis

13 comments:

Melissa said...

That looks delicious! I have never heard of that dish before.

PinkPanthress said...

This sounds & looks amazing... and very easy, too.
I'll try it this or next weekend for my parents(that way I can erase the evidence more easily, if something 'happens' to them thanks to my incompetence of reading recipes). ;)

*blushes* I had to look Clafoutis up on wikipedia, very bad thing if you consider that France is right around the corner so to speak. :<

Thank you for another yummy edition of 'Baked'!!!

elisa said...

oh, is clafoutis usually with almond meal? i've been using lots of it, we've been making honey marzipan, which is a serious hit around here. this looks just gorgeous. my mother used to make a plum version, just heaven xx

Julia said...

Oh my, it looks divine. I bet it tastes even better.

maternity clothes

Tracey Ayton Photography said...

You know you're gonna have to bring some of that on Friday for me.... looking forward to it J .

amy walters said...

Beautiful! I just can't get over how amazing your photography is Janis. I could seriously eat this whole dessert ;) Perhaps it's a good thing we live a few provinces a part!!!

Buffy Ramm said...

Yum! I am going to try this this week end!
Did you thaw the blueberries first?

tinyparticlesoflight said...

I can't believe I have every single item to make this!! Clearly it was meant to be. ;)

xo
cortnie

Helene @ Homebound said...

it just looks tryworthy {;-)}... your photos always get me. but it also sounds great. the week has been strange somehow... hope yours is going well, xo

our little love nest said...

Oh my!! It is so nice to see your blog again! It has been forever. Everything looks so pretty! I will definitely have to try this recipe...possibly for our friends this weekend. xo

Rosa @ FlutterFlutter said...

I am SO going to be making this! Just need to get some almond meal! Yummm!!

Birch + Bird said...

Just when I think I'm getting my eating on track I see deliciousness like this! Who am I kidding...I had lasagna for dinner and will be trying this recipe this weekend :)
~Lily

kate / tinywarbler said...

while i didn't try baking it myself, i can say it was delicious! wink.