Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Baked


I hope your week is going well! Mine has been full of torturing my husband over my photography website redesign and, whew, it's taking a lot out of him me.

I baked some muffins over the weekend, that are pretty tasty. I should bring a few of these for the next long day shoot I have instead of eating them all myself.

Cherry Walnut Oatmeal Muffins - makes 12

3/4 cup rolled oats, toasted
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour* (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup almond meal
1/3 cup ground flax seed
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon guar gum
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs
zest of one large orange
3/4 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
* feel free to swap the g-free flour, almond meal and guar gum, for 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (white or whole wheat). I've made these both ways, I'm just trying to stick to g-free where I can!


Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
Spread oats out on a baking sheet, and toast for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to bowl and set aside to cool. Add the flour, almond meal, flax seed, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, guar gum and salt to the cooled toasted oats. Stir to combine.


In another bowl, mix together yogurt, melted butter, eggs, and orange zest. Make a well in the centre of dry mix and pour in yogurt mixture. Stir ingredients together until just blended. Fold in cherries and walnuts.


Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre, comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

Just add butter, and enjoy!


Back soon,
Janis

17 comments:

amy walters said...

Yummm...I recently tried dried cherries and instantly fell in love. They're so incredibly tasty ;) This recipe looks amazing Janis!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Sure all the hard work on the new site will be worth it - can't wait to see! Thanks for another lovely recipe :)

Melissa said...

Those look and I am sure taste great. I love cheerys and oatmeal so need to try to make these.

PinkPanthress said...

Aw, your hubby is such a darling. You need to give us a link to the Page as soon as it's redone! We need to see it! ;)

I have to make these, too, they look quite tasty... diet be damned!

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

darl, your images always make me want to cook! don't underestimate just how big a deal that is ;). your images are so gorgeous xxx

Meesh@idreamofchairs.com said...

Looks so yummy! Thanks for including the full-g version. :)

elisa said...

i look forward to seeing your site my dear. i also look forward to being in vancouver before long, so i can persuade you to share those. surely i could be of assistance in eating them! x

McMaster and Storm said...

a reason to use cute baking liners.......
love your photos they make me want to bake.right.now!
although, I do have tapioca pudding cooking in the crock-pot right now. {for a certain little boy who will be home soon from school.}

xo
kara

Pinecone Camp said...

Will, I know it will be great but it does take time...especially when depending on a loved one. ;)

Amy, dried cherries are the best, especially the tart ones. Yum.

PinkP, when it's ready for the reveal, I will shout it out!

Jules, that is a lovely compliment, now get baking!

Elisa, can't wait to see you back in Van!

Pinecone Camp said...

McMaster and Storm, your son is very lucky. what a great mom!

Rosa @ FlutterFlutter said...

Is it just me, or is the muffin in the first pic actually falling into place?! I've never tried dried cherries... will have to find those!

shellie said...

yum of course. i adore dried cherries.

Vintage Home said...

oh such gluten free yumminess! Thanks for this....and the images in the last post ...stunning!

tinyparticlesoflight said...

You're always baking something wonderful...

Can't wait to see the fruits of your and your husband's labor on your site!

happy weekend!
xo
cortnie

Missing Goat said...

you bring these, and I'll bring the macaroons!

Sarah(Gather&Glean) said...

They look delicious, another interesting combo. When are you releasing a Pinecone Camp cookbook? I would certainly buy a copy.

Trudy Florence said...

Ooohhh I have fresh cranberries, I'm thinking they would be nice in this as well! Yum!